Wednesday, September 9, 2009

SWAG

I learned about a site called urban dictionary.com from a friend awhile ago, and found it quite hilarious when I stumbled upon this site again while looking up a definition for the word, swag. I normally don't frequent this site, but I thought this definition was interesting.

swag: The level of confidence that defines an individual. One with swagger engages life so effectively that others not only acknowledge their presence but "feel" it. The way in which you carry yourself. Swag is made up of your overall confidence, style, and demeanor. Reputation.

The other day, I was in Wal-Mart and I heard a 5 year-old boy singing a song by a rapper named Souljah Boy called, "Turn My Swag On." Here are some of the lyrics:

Hopped up out the bed turn my swag on
Took a look in the mirror said what's up?
Yeah, I'm getting money, oh


Turn my swag on
It's my time to turn it up, yeah, yeah
I put my team on, did my theme song
Now it's time to turn it up, yeah, yeah

I got a question why they hatin' on me
I got a question why they hatin' on me
I ain't did nothing to 'em but count this money
And put my team on and now my hold click stunny

Boy wat's up, yeah? Boy wat's up, yeah?
When I was nine years old
I put it in my head, I'ma die for this gold
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em, boy what's up?

Hopped up out the bed turn my swag on
Took a look in the mirror said what's up?
Yea, I'm getting money, oh
...

I thought this was so interesting. In the song, he's talking about waking up in the morning and putting on a particular mindset, confidence... swag. His swag was/is his reputation and it defined him. His goal is success, money and in this song, every morning, he puts on his swag and moves toward those goals. Remember, the definition above defines swag as "a level of confidence. overall style, demeanor and reputation." See where I'm going with this? Real talk.

What do you put on in the morning? I was at work today, and I could not figure out why EVERYTHING was going wrong. My attitude wasn't the best, I was overwhelmed with work, overwhelmed with the thought of 'running out of time,' and frustrated at just about everything. I felt like, if someone were to push me over, I would easily fall. When I awakened this morning, I didn't put or turn my swag on. And, in this case, my swag is the armor of God. I didn't 'put on' who I wanted to represent. My mindset wasn't renewed. I totally ran out of the house (because I was late) without cracking open my Bible or stopping to put my armor on:

Eph. 6:13-18
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


Never get too busy for God. I believe that my day at work would've turned out much differently if I had of prioritized my swag. Trust me, lesson learned. I seem to be learning a lot of simple truths again, lately. Thank you Jesus for another day to get it right!

When you wake up in the morning, do you put your swag on?

No comments: