Sunday, December 13, 2009

What A Bed Represents: Extreme Makeover

"It goes deeper than you will ever know..." Ms. Claira, Extreme Makeover

I rarely watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (just because I never have the time), but when I do, I am always so blessed by the impact and imprint that show leaves on the hearts of the deserving. I can't watch this show without crying. Tonight, I was deeply touched by Ms. Claira, the person being honored by the show. Ms. Claira is an older African-American woman in a wheelchair who lives and breathes the desire to help children, the homeless and the less fortunate people in her neighborhood. Her home was falling apart, she was barely mobile, yet she poured herself out to the youth of the community; housing them and taking care of them for many years. But what touched me the most is when the producers did a segment on the children in the neighborhood and how most of them live in extreme impoverished conditions - no clothes, toys or even a bed of their own.

Even though the makeover team was busy building a new home for Ms. Claira and the children she takes care of, they somehow found the time to remodel the bedrooms of some of those kids in need. The makeover team gave each kid a new bed of their own and painted their rooms cool colors, etc. At the reveal, the kids just wept, walked over to their beds and wept some more. Wow. The most important thing they had was their bed because it represented a small piece of ownership and an even smaller piece of home. The kids didn't have to share their beds anymore (some of them sleeping 4 in one bed). Watching those kids cry reminded me of a time when my family and I were homeless, and with that experience, I can say this: There's nothing like having your own bed. Seriously, there's something 'independent' about it. Home is more than just where the heart is; it's also a place where you can lay your head. For some, a bed represents stability.

I was so blessed by this show tonight. Thank God for the people whose life mission is to give back and to help change/influence a life. Thank God for the selfless actions of those who don't live with a "what about me" mentality but are servants from sun up to sun down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! I know, the show makes me cry every time I watch it too. I didn't get to see it last night. Sounds like it was a great episode. Yes, a bed is something that represents a lot more than just a place to sleep. I take my bed for granted, but this has reminded me to be thankful for it. Thanks for posting! Hope your having a lovely CHRISTmas time and that you have a very blessed week!! I love you! :)