Sunday, January 9, 2011

“A Sheep’s Psalm”

wrote this for AWAKE's kickoff 1/6/2011

The biggest, baddest dude on the planet is my shepherd
He was. He is. He will forever be
He was. He is. He will forever be
My provider
My leader
My protector
He leads me down a path of righteousness and tends to my heart
In my weakness of mind, He guides me
He’s a watchman, forever dedicated to my life
He holds eternity in the etches of his palm, then sketches the perfect plan for me
Oh Lord, You are my shepherd and I shall not want
It is my assurance that You fail not
You know what I need and You are quick to provide
You influence my surrounds and surround me with safety
Though, sometimes I am timid, fearful - You are strong, courageous
If I back track, You fall back to push me forward
And like a backpack, You carry my burdens and push me toward, Yourself
And, all I have to do... is let you.
See, in order to let You be, I just have to let go of me
You are my shepherd and You abandon not
I could run from Your presence and yet, You follow me
Being a creature of habit, if I get puffed up, You hollow me
You tend to me like rusted silver - worn, but easily restored
You fight for me
And when I stumble in darkness, You light for me
Come close to me. And speak.
The power of Your words are filled with grace, mercy, love and life
Let them, fall on my ears and break my heart
There's something about knowing that You are my shepherd of every second and of every day that causes me to weep
May Your staff guide me and keep me in Your presence and, sweep me away
This is my assurance that You fail not
You are my shepherd and I shall not want

No comments: