Monday, January 19, 2009

Big Jesus!

Yesterday, my 4 year-old niece who lives in Ohio called to sing "happy birthday" to me. She was so cute when she sang it because she kept saying: Happy Birthday to you, Auntie Terri I love you, Happy Birthday to you, Auntie Terri I love you, Happy Birthday to yoooooou, Auntie Terri I love you, Happy Birthday to you... May God bless you (a-choo), May God bless you (a-choo), May God bless yoooou (a-choo), May God bless youuuuu, auntie Terri I looove you.

She made me smile after that song, and I was crackin' up, too because I had no idea the birthday song had 3 verses to it!! lol. Anyway, as my niece and I were chatting, she asked me a question: Auntie Terri, are you coming to get me so I can visit? She was so cute... When I told her about my plans to have her stay with me this summer, she got excited and said: I want to go to the beach but I don't want to get in the ocean because there are sharks in the sea, and I'm scared. We went back and forth for a minute about how she shouldn't fear the ocean, and of how auntie Terri won't let her get attacked by a shark. After a few minutes of my niece trying to reassure me of her fear, my brother jumps in and says, Daejah, do you remember the scripture we read this morning? God has not given you the Spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. Daejah recited the verse. I said, Daejah, you have nothing to fear because Jesus and His angels are all around you protecting you. After a brief pause, Daejah said, Really? Big Jesus and His angels are around me? Well, when I come to the beach, how can I see them? I want to see them all around me. I'm not scared because Big Jesus will be there. Auntie Terri, let's make it happen.

Let's make it happen... My niece's fear was immediately quenched when she grasped the idea of "Big Jesus" protecting her. She immediately let go of what her little mind knew to be true, and she grasped hold of the idea of Jesus, someone she can't see, protecting her. WOW! She saw Jesus as bigger than the sea, bigger than the shark and bigger than her fear or intimidation. Not only that, but when she grabbed hold of that truth, she was ready to "make it happen." She was ready to see Big Jesus do it!

I just have one word: FAITH!


1 comment:

livingtheart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.