Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Will Follow You


John 10:27: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

I was at lunch with a few friends this afternoon, and while they chatted about the present subject, I drifted off (which I often do) with my own thoughts and wondering eyes. As I sat against the wall, I noticed a father come into the restaurant with his son. The son could not have been more than 2 or 3 years-old, and he was clinging to his father's calf for dear life. It was funny. That little boy was so cute because he wore the coolest pair of neon green little-kid-shades I have ever seen, and his hair was light blond, spiked and looked like a Mohawk. So cute.

Anyway, as the father and son moved through the restaurant, the father began to pick up pace, and with each stride, his son lagged further and further behind. The father never looked back because I'm assuming he
knew that his son followed close behind, and the son never lost sight of his father no matter how far ahead he was. What touched me in this moment was while the father was getting ready to take his seat, the son put his head down for a split second, looked up again and realized that he lost sight of his father. After realizing he was lost, the son stopped, started looking around and then began crying. Before the father took his seat, he quickly turned around at the sound of his son's voice, ran to where he was and picked him up - carrying him the rest of the way to the table. When the father picked his son up, he immediately stopped crying, and everything seemed to be back to normal. Why? The son saw his father again, and he was safe in his father's arms.

I don't ever want to lose sight of my heavenly father. I don't ever want to look away for a moment, get lost and then try to figure out how to get back on the right path. It's too costly. But, God loves us so much that even if we get lost, He'll come running to our rescue the minute we cry out to Him. He'll even carry us until we're able to walk ourselves.



No comments: