Friday, April 3, 2009

Who Can You "Out Honor?"

Romans 12:10 says, "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor...."

I was talking with a friend the other day about just "doin' life" with your friends. The things she said to me were eye-opening because she spoke about "out honoring" others, or "out serving" them. I remember asking her, "What does that mean to you?" And, she told me that she wanted to be the first to fill a need - "see a need and fill," she says. To do random acts of kindness or give support when needed or fulfill someone's love language if it's in your power to do so. . . Truly, it's a concept of working to be self-less instead of selfish. Living life for others, giving freely of yourself.

My friend started giving me fun and funny examples of how she and a close friend compete with each other to see who can "out honor" or "out serve" the other. This spoke volumes to me because she's placed herself in a position to always be mindful of being a servant. She shows her friends and loved ones how much they mean to her by honoring them, continually. "Wow," I thought. What my friend spoke about tugged on my heartstrings a bit and I began to wonder of who I could run to to help fulfill a need? Do I truly go through my day looking for ways and reasons to serve others? Who can I "out honor" today?

In the business of just 'doin life' with the people around you, be sure to look for ways to serve them, meet a need and to honor them, daily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally found you!! Love your blog! Check mine out- I just started writing again! Love you- Von.
www.victoriouslyawakened.blogspot.com